Client – Kings College London
Value – Circa £200’000
NIS Ltd secured the KCL Door Access Project in the via a public tender exercise similar to this particular contract. The project was secured against a clear set of project requirements which included the installation of door access equipment to over 100 x door locations across the entire Denmark Hill Campus. The description below details the project requirements;
Proposal for the upgrade of the Access Control Security system on Denmark Hill East
The college has adopted the Cardax Gallagher access control system as its main access control platform across the College estate. Having one system has obvious security advantages but the main one is that customers moving from site to site have ease of access.
Description of Works
The following summaries the works undertaken.
The Denmark Hill east campus had been using Micro Track for some years now. The system needed to be upgraded due to its age. A consultation took place with the building users of each building and the following has was agreed between KCL and NIS Ltd.
• External door will be swipe in and out (unless the occupants indicated that they would prefer a push button on the way out).
• Main doors and reception secondary doors will be secured to provide a double layer of security at the main entrances of buildings.
• Departments will not be segregated by access control but rather floors will be secured by putting access control on lifts and stairwells.
• Staircases will be swipe in and out with the exception of common areas that will allow exit on a push button exit. This will prevent users that get trapped within the staircase without an access card to exit freely into a common area.
• High risk areas like laboratories will be secured with in buildings. (This includes 2 way Air tight corridors leading into a room utilizing relays to tell our Gallagher controller when one door is open to stop access being granted through the second door until the first is closed)
• Selected external doors will be taken of access control and fitted with intruder alarms and push bars
NIS Ltd carried out the work on a phase basis completing one building at a time to cause the least amount of disruption possible. Cards were updated on a nightly basis as our engineers liaised with KCL Security greatly throughout the duration of works and provided on site training for the Gallagher Command Centre software,
• David Goldberg Centre
• 1 Windsor Walk
• Child Psychiatry Building
• Academic Neuroscience Centre
• Portacabin on the Green Works also included the supply and installation of a complete Commend Intercom system throughout many locations around site and the installation of new car park barriers utilizing existing sensors laid within the road and
a new pillar fitted with a Paxton reader and Intercom system to allow for complete control over the access through vehicle across site
All works were successfully been undertaken within the project timescales.
Following contract award, NIS Ltd appointed Project Director Chris Sandison and Project Manager Ewan Shaw to oversee the entire installation. Both Chris and Ewan stayed in close contact with KCL throughout the project, whilst also attending site meetings with the College’s IT managers and building contractors to ensure client requirements/deadlines were met.